About St. Paul's
St. Paul’s Lutheran Church & School is located in Waverly, IA and is affiliated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) in the Northeastern Iowa Synod. It is a place for people of all ages and backgrounds to worship, learn, and grow together in their faith. Everyone is welcome at St. Paul’s because we believe that we are all God’s people and God calls us to love one another.
St. Paul's is a congregation whose history is deeply steeped in Lutheran worship, the importance of education, and service to others.
St. Paul's Lutheran Church & School has been an integral part of the Waverly community and the surrounding area since 1872. Immigrants from Germany organized St. Paul's congregation May 9, 1872. At first, the eight founding families gathered for worship in rented facilities. Fourteen years later in 1886, St. Paul's purchased an old church building to serve as its first sanctuary. The cornerstone for the present building was laid in July 1907, and dedicated in March of 1908. Additionally, the first English-language worship service was in 1908. The marble baptismal font was purchased by the youth of the congregation in 1914.
The Parish House was built in 1940 and dedicated in February 1941, just ten months before World War II began. It was built to accommodate a rapidly growing Sunday School, school, and various group events and activities.
The strong belief in education was evident from the beginning. At its organization in 1872, the congregation also organized its school, a fairly common practice among immigrants. In 1890, the congregation bought land across the street to the south of the sanctuary to build a schoolhouse. In the beginning, the school offered first through eighth grade, with the older grades mandatory for confirmation. In 1952, a kindergarten was added. The current school building was constructed and dedicated in 1964. In the fall of 1968, a preschool program was added and currently serves three, four and five-year-olds waiting to go to kindergarten. In 1969 the congregation discontinued seventh and eighth grade. Today, St. Paul’s Lutheran School welcomes students from other congregations and communities and students who have no religious affiliation.
Throughout its history, St. Paul's has been committed to worship and education with a vision to reach out in service to others. In 1959, the congregation realized it could reach out to others through a radio ministry. Today, St. Paul's weekly worship services can be heard every Sunday morning over Waverly's local station, KWAY 99.3 FM at 9 a.m.